Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wasim_sayed
Returning Member

MO state department has hold my state tax from past 2year.they are saying that I have a withholding amount and I owe money to them.I might have filled in something wrong?

From past 2 year 2019 and 2020 I didn't received my state tax I spoke to MO state department they said there is a withholding amount and that's why I owe money to them but I really can't understand how come I owe money to them. I spoke to my employer and employer have cross verified my W2 and there is nothing wrong with it then i might have have filled it something  wrong while filling now please help me to sort out this thing. I am clueless
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

MO state department has hold my state tax from past 2year.they are saying that I have a withholding amount and I owe money to them.I might have filled in something wrong?

If there is no withholding amount you will owe.

file an amended state return attaching a photocopy of your W-2 showing state tax withheld. Start with 2018 earliest year.

you must do that within three years of filing.

wasim_sayed
Returning Member

Sir/Man,

Thanks for your response. Will you please explain me in depth how to check W2 showing tax withheld and how to file an amended state return? And I have only 2 years of filling 2019 & 2020. 

I have send the attachment of chart that Mo state department has send me. Thank you

Screenshot_2021-03-03-20-27-54-70.png

TomD8
Level 15

The amount of tax withheld from your pay may not necessarily cover 100% of the taxes you owe.  Taxes withheld rarely are an exact match for taxes owed.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
wasim_sayed
Returning Member

Now please suggest me what  am I supposed to do how can I solve this. Please help me.

TomD8
Level 15

If your employer verified that your W2's were correct, and if you entered them correctly on your tax return, and if you're pretty sure your tax return is otherwise correct, then you should pay the tax bill you received from Missouri.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
wasim_sayed
Returning Member

Actually i am really not sure whether I filled it right or wrong. Will you please help me to check whether I filled my returns in right way or not. I really don't have any ideas on how to check our returns. Thank you.

TomD8
Level 15

Unfortunately no one here can see your tax return.  And no one here can know whether you entered all your required information into your tax return, or whether you entered it correctly.  You may have to seek other assistance.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies