Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MASS State Taxes

I moved to MA from NH mid year after losing my job. I have only collected NH Unemployment since. Is that NH unemployment  taxable in MASS? NH has no state tax, so if it is I am regretting it.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

MASS State Taxes

Yes, if you changed residence, you will have to file a Part-Year Mass return and report the income you received when you lived in Mass.

As a part-year resident, you're generally taxed on all your income while you're a resident of Massachusetts, received from sources inside or outside of Massachusetts.  Massachusetts gross income is income earned from all sources while a Massachusetts resident.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

MASS State Taxes

Do I have to file a part year NH State tax form too just for the dividents or interest? Is that divided into MA and NH or can I just report on the MA state tax form?

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

MASS State Taxes

If you met the NH income threshold (see below) for interest & dividends, you would owe NH tax on the dividends and interest you earned while a resident of NH (a Part-Year resident return). That income would not be taxable by MA, but you would have to allocate the rest of your 2020 intent and dividend income to MA.

There is a threshold for the NH tax on dividends and interest. From the NH tax website: The state only taxes interest and dividends at 5% on residents and fiduciaries whose gross interest and dividends income, from all sources, exceeds $2,400 annually ($4800 for joint filers). 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies