mdmilburne

Maryland two income marriage deduction

Both of us work and when filing my Maryland tax return it asks me about the two income marriage deduction. It auto filled a set dollar amount under my name but wants me to add an amount under her name. Where do I find that amount?

JulieCo

Maryland two income marriage deduction

Per the Comptroller of Maryland:   Maryland provides a deduction for two-income married couples who file a joint income tax return. When both you and your spouse have taxable income, you may subtract up to $1,200 or the income of the spouse with the lower income, whichever is less. The income can be from wages, pensions, or business income.

Here is a link to the Maryland worksheet to calculate which income is lower (the amount for your spouse to enter into TurboTax should be the amount calculated on line 5 of the worksheet in the link):  Maryland - Tax Subtraction for Two Income Families

LynnPKH324

Maryland two income marriage deduction

To follow up on this questions--does each person have to have income in Maryland or just one? For example, I have income in MD but my husband's is in VA?  thank you!

Liverbibs

Maryland two income marriage deduction

Yes, I would love to have this answered as well. I worked in MD but husband worked in DE. Do I still put the 1200 in, or not?

JohnW152

Maryland two income marriage deduction

@Liverbibs  

Yes, you can claim this deductions if you're both full- or part-year residents of Maryland and are filing Form 502.

See the TWO-INCOME MARRIED COUPLE SUBTRACTION WORKSHEET (13D) in the Instructions for Maryland Resident Income Tax Return with Form 502, found in 2020 Individual Income Tax Forms for more information.