Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Maryland two income marriage deduction

Both of us work and when filing my Maryland tax return it asks me about the two income marriage deduction. It auto filled a set dollar amount under my name but wants me to add an amount under her name. Where do I find that amount?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
JulieCo

Per the Comptroller of Maryland:   Maryland provides a deduction for two-income married couples who file a joint income tax return. When both you and your spouse have taxable income, you may subtract up to $1,200 or the income of the spouse with the lower income, whichever is less. The income can be from wages, pensions, or business income.

Here is a link to the Maryland worksheet to calculate which income is lower (the amount for your spouse to enter into TurboTax should be the amount calculated on line 5 of the worksheet in the link):  Maryland - Tax Subtraction for Two Income Families

LynnPKH324
Returning Member

To follow up on this questions--does each person have to have income in Maryland or just one? For example, I have income in MD but my husband's is in VA?  thank you!

Liverbibs

Yes, I would love to have this answered as well. I worked in MD but husband worked in DE. Do I still put the 1200 in, or not?

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

@Liverbibs  

Yes, you can claim this deductions if you're both full- or part-year residents of Maryland and are filing Form 502.

See the TWO-INCOME MARRIED COUPLE SUBTRACTION WORKSHEET (13D) in the Instructions for Maryland Resident Income Tax Return with Form 502, found in 2020 Individual Income Tax Forms for more information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies