turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Maryland - how long does it take for my tax return to be accepted??

So I filed my taxes early probably in the beginning of January. It is now February 12th which is when they are supposed to be processed. The website says they can take up to 3 days but I read somewhere else that it is processed the same day. It also says it is updated once a day at 10:30 a.m. however mine has not been processed yet. Can anyone with any knowledge tell me how long it usually takes for Maryland state taxes to be accepted.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Sounds like your Federal return was accepted as part of an IRS test batch.  However, it doesn't go to the processing pipeline until today.  

• February 12. IRS begins 2021 tax season. Individual tax returns begin being accepted and processing begins.
     February 22. Projected date for the IRS.gov Where's My Refund tool being updated for those claiming EITC and ACTC, also referred to as PATH Act returns.
     First week of March. Tax refunds begin reaching those claiming EITC and ACTC (PATH Act returns) for those who file electronically with direct deposit and there are no issues with their tax returns.

2021 tax filing season begins Feb. 12; IRS outlines steps to speed refunds during pandemic | Interna...

View solution in original post

14 Replies

Your state return cannot be accepted until your Federal return is, and the IRS just started doing that today (Feb 12).  Per the state, Maryland will begin accepting all Individual tax returns on February 12, 2021.

What's New for the Tax Year (marylandtaxes.gov)

Since there is likely to be a backlog, give it a couple of days before you check again.

I really appreciate you taking time to reply to my question. Coincidentally my federal tax return was accepted two days before the stated date (Feb. 12). Today is the the 12th and still not processed :(

Sounds like your Federal return was accepted as part of an IRS test batch.  However, it doesn't go to the processing pipeline until today.  

• February 12. IRS begins 2021 tax season. Individual tax returns begin being accepted and processing begins.
     February 22. Projected date for the IRS.gov Where's My Refund tool being updated for those claiming EITC and ACTC, also referred to as PATH Act returns.
     First week of March. Tax refunds begin reaching those claiming EITC and ACTC (PATH Act returns) for those who file electronically with direct deposit and there are no issues with their tax returns.

2021 tax filing season begins Feb. 12; IRS outlines steps to speed refunds during pandemic | Interna...

So considering my federal taxes were accepted today should I be concerned if my state taxes are not accepted today?

Anyone?

Kim1166

Have you received your MD refund yet or still delayed? My eFile was accepted by MD 2/15 but still not processed. 

Nope same here mine was accepted on the 15th yet it is still not processed. I have spoken with someone from the Comptroller's office and she told me that she hasn't seen anyone's processed yet.

Christyo

Any progress? Mine was processing now has said for 2 days not yet processing 

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

@Christyo

Please see this for information on why your state tax return may still be pending. Also you will receive an email from us for more information: Why is my return still pending?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
NlKonemann
Returning Member

Mine was change to excepted on February 14th and still I have not received my check  And I have direct deposit and I electronically filed.SMH I got my federal  Earlier than the expected date of March the 5th Area are in April called today they said it still being processed lol unbelievable

AmyC
Expert Alumni

MD normally takes 6-8 weeks to process, this year may have some taxpayers experiencing even more of a delay due to the law changes that happened during tax season.

You can check on the status of your refund here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dmagruder

Was yours accepted? Still waiting on mine. 

holmes8585
Returning Member

Still haven't gotten my state refund and it was accepted on February 25

@holmes8585 wrote:

Still haven't gotten my state refund and it was accepted on February 25

Some states are fairly quick with refunds, while other states can take a long time processing returns--even several weeks--as they crack down on detecting fraudulent returns or cope with staff shortages due to Covid, etc.   You may be able to get an idea about how long it takes in your state from the FAQs at your state's tax agency website as I will mention below.

Of course, you first need to be sure it was successfully filed.  Here's how:

If you efiled, be sure your efiled state return was accepted.  If you used Online TurboTax, you can check by looking at the Tax Home in your Online account.   If you used desktop software, you can check from within your software product.

Or did you choose to file by mail instead?  TurboTax does not mail it for you.  If you chose that method, you have to print, sign, date, and mail it.

The FAQ below tells how to check on a state refund and has a link for your state.

TIP:   While you're at your state's tax website, also look for a statement or FAQ that may say about how long it takes to get a refund in your state and how to long to wait before phoning the state tax agency.  Many states have such information on their websites.

FAQ:  How do I track my state refund?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refund-status/help/how-do-i-track-my-state-refund/00/25571

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies