Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

locked out of state return and will be forced to paper file

Here's what I tried to say to 'contact us" which is a dead-end loop; if I'm mistaken, please tell me:

TurboTax self-employed "Deluxe Live Help":

I requested a refund on the Oregon state return I paid for because I don't need an Oregon return.

I was charged for all 3--federal and 2 states returns-- when I filed for an extension, which is free but was denied anyway. 
Your helper said the extension is free and I would pay when I actually completed my returns. 
Based on her advice, even though I was unsure about needing a 2nd state, I filed for an extension. 

I was required by the software to pay for all three returns in advance before it would allow me to file the extension.  
So: She was wrong, and that also locked in the Oregon return.

I am/was now unable to delete that unneeded Oregon return in the software because it is already paid for. 
Really? You couldn't add that minor capability to the software?
This means my Missouri return will be on the wrong (split state) form, guaranteeing it will not be accepted.  
I may also be contacted by Oregon, wondering why I have not filed a return I apparently stated I did need.  

Even if I was willing to send the wrong Missouri return, your software would not let me complete it.  Instead, it cycles
 through an endless loop of "you need to fix your return(s)"  due to missing Oregon information.  
This is even though there is no Oregon return at the end when I am ready to file!

As it is, the software would not let me have the "expert review" I paid for on my federal return either, 
because in order to e-file my federal return, I had to advance past (override) the expert review by saying 
"NO, I do not want to "fix" my Missouri mistakes; just do the federal" which skips over the final "expert view of the federal, too.

I need you to (asap!) please: 

1) delete the second state return, so I can complete my Missouri taxes
2) issue the second state filing refund
3) notify me you have done so.

Otherwise, I will have to get a blank paper form--the correct one--enter by hand, and calculate my own return, start to finish, 
without even migrating federal info, and print and file it myself.

That means I will not have had:

1) a TurboTax state return
2) the forms online
3) expert help/review

..even though I paid for those 3 things

This is as bad as it gets, especially if you include

1 the 3 bits of grossly incorrect instructions your 'experts gave me, which would have failed a cursory electronic audit, 
2) and the act that in all but one question, your software helpers knew nothing that wasn't in the self-help searches...even less, at one point.

It has been a tough year, as for many of us.  I don't need the stress or delay of redoing my state taxes by hand.  That's why we buy the software and "expert help"!

TurboTax has failed me horribly when I especially  needed it to work.  An accountant had offered to do the taxes for around $550.00..

Wow.
St. Louis, MO
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I do thank you for trying to help, but TurboTax should stop forcing paying customers to beg for answers from other paying customers.  It should get rid of obvious glitches like not being able to delete a return.

I already tried clearing and restarting my Missouri return.

Ironically, since TurboTax recognizes me, any attempt to start a new account or just buy the state separately is impossible.  So is buying the CD and then importing the tax file form TurboTax...which would in any case, raise the cost of doing my own !@#$% taxes to well over what a CPA was going to cost me.

I could not even start over with a new account, paying for the whole effing thing all over again and importing my 2021 federal return from a previous account...so there is no way to file my state taxes, period.  And since being self-employed for the first time made me want the software and expert help, it's twice as infuriating that I will have to do them all my hand ON PAPER, figuring out everything by myself, and mailing them in.  I'm due a refund I could really use, too, and that will now take months instead of days.

If Turbotax resolves my issue--not bloody likely--I'll return here to frankly say so...otherwise, assume this is the last word, and please share with other unsuspecting new users.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Delete(uninstall) the OREGON state program for OR tax returns.

You may have to delete the other state' tax return, not the program, and start it over.

If TurboTax Online won't remove the OR state program,

you have to delete all state tax returns, and 

restart your MO State tax return.

That's impossible. Once they are paid for, as I said above, they can't be removed. Period.  And if I can't remove the non-resident state I mistakenly paid for, I can't complete my home state.  Period.  It will continue to force me to use a form designed for income split between two states.  TurboTax software experts, CPAs and the community have no answer for this, and so TurboTax gets to keep about 180.00 of my hard-earned money while I do my taxes on paper, by myself????!!!  Not only that, but no "expert review", expert defense, or anything else.  It's a mind-boggling ripoff. It just doesn't get worse than that, so I am sharing it with the entire world.

Thanks for trying to help, but:

What do you mean by "program" vs. form?  TurboTax doesn't allow consumers to edit their software, unless I am downloading software which allows me to decide when to use a form.

I am using the online version.  That's impossible. Once they are paid for, as I said above, they can't be removed. Period.  And if I can't remove the non-resident state I mistakenly paid for, I can't complete my home state.  Period.  It will continue to force me to use a form designed for income split between two states.  TurboTax software experts, CPAs and the community have no answer for this.

TurboTax just gets to keep about 180.00 of my hard-earned money while I do my taxes on paper, by myself????!!!  Not only that, but no "expert review", expert defense, or anything else.  It's a mind-boggling ripoff. It just doesn't get worse than that, so I am sharing it with the entire world.

I do thank you for trying to help, but TurboTax should stop forcing paying customers to beg for answers from other paying customers.  It should get rid of obvious glitches like not being able to delete a return.

I already tried clearing and restarting my Missouri return.

Ironically, since TurboTax recognizes me, any attempt to start a new account or just buy the state separately is impossible.  So is buying the CD and then importing the tax file form TurboTax...which would in any case, raise the cost of doing my own !@#$% taxes to well over what a CPA was going to cost me.

I could not even start over with a new account, paying for the whole effing thing all over again and importing my 2021 federal return from a previous account...so there is no way to file my state taxes, period.  And since being self-employed for the first time made me want the software and expert help, it's twice as infuriating that I will have to do them all my hand ON PAPER, figuring out everything by myself, and mailing them in.  I'm due a refund I could really use, too, and that will now take months instead of days.

If Turbotax resolves my issue--not bloody likely--I'll return here to frankly say so...otherwise, assume this is the last word, and please share with other unsuspecting new users.

@just1break 

That sounds like a terrible experience.  Sorry you're having to go through all that.

If you wish, you can contact Intuit Corporate and tell them your complicated and frustrating story.  They should have someone review your experience.  Ask them if someone can reach out to you by phone to assist you, or see if they will refund your money.

If you want to do that, you can go to the page at the link below.

Just below the page's header tabs, you'll see a screen-wide blue banner that prominently says:

"Do you have a question, concern, or feedback about an Intuit product or service?"

There is a "Send an email" link ..  It goes to a designated person in the office of the president of Intuit, and they supposedly will assign it to the right team for review.

NOTE:  Do NOT send any sensitive personal data since that is regular email--not secure email.  So do not include any sensitive personal info.

https://www.intuit.com/company/executives/

Set the taxable income in your non-resident state to zero.

it should not matter if your resident state is forced to include a non-resident tax credit form with a credit of zero.

The form should drop off if the credit is zero.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies