Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Live in Washington and work part of the time in Oregon

I am trying to figure out how I treat some of my income. I live in WA state, and commute to OR one day a week, and work from home the other 4 days a week. I know that I pay Oregon tax for the days that I work in Oregon but not for the days I work in Washington. My question is around lump sum bonus income. To make it more complicated, my 2023 annual bonus was for work done in 2022. I changed from fully remote to this 1-day-a-week in Oregon halfway through the year, so for simplicity sake, I worked "in Oregon" 10% of 2022 and 20% of 2023. Do I:

1. Pay Oregon tax on my bonus based on my 2022 "days worked in Oregon" because that's when I "earned" my bonus - 10%
  2. Pay Oregon tax on my bonus based on my 2023 "days worked in Oregon" because that's when my bonus was paid - 20%
  3. Not pay Oregon tax because I live in WA
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Pay Oregon tax on your bonus based on your 2022 "days worked in Oregon" because that's when you "earned" your bonus - 10%.

Thank you.

On a similar note, I have a question around Restricted Stock Units.

Granted an RSU worth $10k 

At distribution date 1 yr later, it is now worth $12k

Is the whole $12k subject to the "days worked in Oregon" breakdown, or just the $10k value when it was granted? 

Hal_Al
Level 15

You may want to  post that as a new question, to get more eyes on it. 

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

It is the value at the time it vests, which in your example is $12,000.  That is the amount that will be included in your wages and reported on your W-2 in box 1.  RSU awards have no real value unless and until they vest, at which time they value of the RSU is considered earned income.  Similarly if the value of the RSU dropped to $8,000, that is the amount that would be included in your wages, and is also the amount that would be used to calculate the percentage that is taxable by Oregon.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies