Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jnjrowe

Just finished my return. Taxable income $18,140 & tax on line 44 zero. I know that’s wrong. What do I do?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Just finished my return. Taxable income $18,140 & tax on line 44 zero. I know that’s wrong. What do I do?

If you are in the 10% or 15% tax bracket for 2017, the capital gains tax rate is 0%.

That's right 0%.  

The taxes are not computed using the Tax Rate Tables when you have Capital Gains and/or Qualified Dividends.

Please click on this link for more details on this.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/investments-and-taxes/5-things-you-should-know-about-capital-ga...

Your tax computation is correct providing all the income has been reported.

TurboTax has a 100% Accuracy Guarantee on the tax computation.   

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Do you have capital gains and/or dividends making up a large amount of the taxable income on the return?
jnjrowe

Yes, but there is no schedule attached or any box "x'd" on tax line to clue you in on tax calculation. Just looks like you should have gone to tax tables to calculate tax. Thanks for your help!

If you are in the 10% or 15% tax bracket for 2017, the capital gains tax rate is 0%.

That's right 0%.  

The taxes are not computed using the Tax Rate Tables when you have Capital Gains and/or Qualified Dividends.

Please click on this link for more details on this.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/investments-and-taxes/5-things-you-should-know-about-capital-ga...

Your tax computation is correct providing all the income has been reported.

TurboTax has a 100% Accuracy Guarantee on the tax computation.   

jnjrowe

Thank you!

My pleasure.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies