turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vrahm

It is telling me to file a Kansas City Mo earning tax form. I have never filed one before. Is this new and is it necessary as my work takes care of it?

I live in Jacskson county, City of Independence and work full time in KC MO
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

It is telling me to file a Kansas City Mo earning tax form. I have never filed one before. Is this new and is it necessary as my work takes care of it?

Since you work in Kansas City, MO, you have to pay this tax. The Kansas City Earnings Tax is for anyone who either works or lives in Kansas City, MO.

Please see the tax's description at the KCMO website

However, note the following at a KCMO FAQ (look under Individuals:(

"Your employer should withhold the earnings tax if you work in Kansas City, Missouri. Your W-2 (or your paystubs) will reflect tax paid through payroll deductions. You do not need to file a return if the amount in Box 19 of your W-2 equals 1% of Box 1.

Your employer may be willing to withhold the tax if you are a resident but do not work at a location, or perform services, in Kansas City, Missouri. Please check with your employer for more information.
"

If your employer withheld the tax (the 1%) then you are done; if not, if you answered the questions in the Missouri interview about this city tax, then look in your Missouri output for the form, print it and mail it with you payment (or look online for online payment options).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I lived in KCMO for 5 years and used Turbotax every year and it never once told me I need to pay this tax (employer was not in KC so didn't withhold). After moving I just received a collection notice saying I owe back taxes plus interest plus late fee. I have friends who use TaxAct and were informed of the tax. I feel this is an error on TurboTax's part: what will TurboTax do to remedy this issue so I don't have to pay the extra fees?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

If you lived in KS city, you should have paid tax. See How to submit documentation for accuracy guarantee claims.

@BearFamFive

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies