turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is there a way to get the California Stimulus if I had made $45 income as an independent tutor in 2020?

I have never done my taxes before because I was considered a non-filer, making no income, with last year making only $45 as an independent contractor, so filing taxes is all new to me.

Initially I thought I was able to receive the california stimulus because it said you needed to make less than $75,000, but I never knew that this meant making at least $1. When I filed for my taxes for 2020, I didn't report any income because technically I didn't make anything, and didn't think $45 as an independent tutor was worth filing. I continued filing my taxes by adding tuition and expenses information assuming that would allow me to file my taxes, and the IRS having 2020 taxes on file.  

Now, knowing that I had too had made at least $1 as income, I was wondering if there is any way to amend my tax return in order to provide the $45 income, but don't know how.

I also came across an article saying that if you have no taxable income, but still want to file your taxes, you can  file a $1 interest income under the interest income form in order to file a return. Is this applicable to my situation? Would doing so allow me to finally be eligible to for the 2020 Golden State Stimulus?

I wouldn't be going through all this trouble if I wasn't in dire need of aid.

Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Is there a way to get the California Stimulus if I had made $45 income as an independent tutor in 2020?

You can file with no income, but had to put down the $1 because the IRS computers would not process returns with zero income.   You can file a return with $1 as income and qualify for the federal and state stimulus payments.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies