Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >

misha0926

Is Tax Paid to South Carolina showing wrong amount for my North Carolina return?

I work in SC, live in NC. Turbotax is showing Tax paid to SC is $3,696 but my W2 shows state income tax paid $5,178. Should I adjust turbotax's number?

Scratch this question. I finally found the answer on the NC Department of Revenue website. Since I am getting a refund from SC of $1,481, the credit I list on my NC tax return is the total tax paid less the refund received. Hope this helps others with 2 state filings.

SteamTrain

Absolutely correct.  

Max allowed credit is the taxes that SC "kept"  (i.e. net after SC refund)

A second qualification of the amount, is that the credit allowed cannot exceed the % that NC would-have charged for the same income.  Thus, if the non-resident state taxes those wages at 6%, while NC taxes at 5%, then the credit is only for up-to the 5% that NC would have charged.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789-_~