Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dickster

Is California's CRV now a tax?

The California Refund Value (CRV) is the amount paid to consumers when they recycle beverage containers at certified recycling centers. But redemption centers are closing, and it's getting harder to collect our CRV. Is this then a tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

You pay the CRV when you buy the beverage, when you recycle it, they just give you some of your money back.  Its not income to you.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

Stores do charge sales tax (use tax) on the CRV when you purchase the beverage.
dickster

My point is I can't collect my CRV, so not only do I pay sales taxes on it when I buy the beverage, I don't get it back BECAUSE recycling places are closed due to low value of recycled materials.  Therefore, it seems like I'm paying even more tax, i.e., the non-refunded CRV.

That is certainly something you should definitely discuss with your district's State Rep & Senator to the California Legislature.

That's what they are elected for......to help deal with such fallout form their actions...AND it is an election year and they re looking to do anything that can get your vote.
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Plenty of places around me that you can recycle...must be where you live.  I normally go directly to the garbage company and cash mine in there.
dickster

Do a web-search for "california recycling centers closing"
burkintax08
Returning Member

Principally speaking, California Redemption Value (CRV), is a hidden tax.  The sale of each applicable bottle and can levies the stipulated CRV amount. A use fee, by definition, applies when you receive a value in exchange; for example, you drive into a state park and you receive the value of entrance and typically a motor vehicle parking spot (note California state parks were once free to enter).  In exchange you are allowed the opportunity to collect CRV paid when you return empty CRV containers, and that is where the tax comes into question, because you were forced to pay for it, though then you may collect the CRV back, thus negating the "fee" (tax). 

Note that as of January 1 2024 wine and liquor bottles were added to the CRV list at 10 cents each, and wine bottle pouch bags at 25 cents. My local retailer obviously doesn't like this because the handling cost outweighs the CRV refund amount (counted before the CRV items leave their warehouse). 

Practically speaking,  our household collects all CRV cans and bottles and returns them to our local market for a cash slip. As you can imagine, we avoid bottles (bulky and heavy) deferring to cans (light in weight and may be crushed). When I return them, I typically see the same gentleman and find from discussion that I am one of few who collect the CRV back, and that is further evidence that in application CRV is more apt to be described as a tax. 

California has levied numerous such hidden taxes over the last several decades. You may have also noticed fees for paint, used tires, automotive batteries (notice that you pay sales tax on the core's value, though you are not returned the core sales tax upon return of the core), etc. And there was a day when used car sales did not have sales tax applied. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies