Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is all of my income taxable for state taxes?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

It depends upon which state.

I am in Pa. It is saying I owe 118,000 in state taxes....3x what I make...I do not know what to do.

For Pennsylvania the income reported on the federal return is taxable with these exclusions:
1.    Taxpayers may exclude from compensation qualified payments to IRC Section 125 (cafeteria) plans for programs covering hospitalization, sickness, disability or death.
2.    Excluded from Pennsylvania-taxable income are capital gains from the sale of a principal residence for all taxpayers who satisfy ownership and use requirements.
3.    Taxpayers may also exclude from income personal use of employer-owned property.

As to why TurboTax is saying you owe 3 times your income in state taxes, I don't know. Start double checking everything. Open you PA form and check line-by-line that the amounts were entered and transferred correctly.

I have checked and  rechecked my federal numbers......When I mark that my income is not taxable it states that I am owed 1500$ that is the only thing that changes the #...How do I file just my federal....I need someone to help me with the state stuff
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies