turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm receiving money from Mississippi from the sale of land from my grandfather. Do I have to pay taxes on it? I'm in MD.

Do I have to pay inheritance taxes on in MD?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

I'm receiving money from Mississippi from the sale of land from my grandfather. Do I have to pay taxes on it? I'm in MD.

Inheritance tax is something completely different from income tax returns.  MD may have an inheritance tax or MS may have one but in neither case would that affect your income tax returns.  You would have to check the stat web sites for each  state to see if there is any kind of inheritance tax forms that need to be filed. 

MD returns start with the Federal Adjusted Gross Income. Federal AGI will include any gain or loss on sale of this inherited property.  Since the cost basis of any inherited property on the Federal return will be the Fair Market value at the time of inheritance, it's unlikely you'll have either a large gain or loss, but since you received any profit while a MD resident, MD will tax that profit, or allow that loss. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Anita01

Inheritance tax is something completely different from income tax returns.  MD may have an inheritance tax or MS may have one but in neither case would that affect your income tax returns.  You would have to check the stat web sites for each  state to see if there is any kind of inheritance tax forms that need to be filed. 

MD returns start with the Federal Adjusted Gross Income. Federal AGI will include any gain or loss on sale of this inherited property.  Since the cost basis of any inherited property on the Federal return will be the Fair Market value at the time of inheritance, it's unlikely you'll have either a large gain or loss, but since you received any profit while a MD resident, MD will tax that profit, or allow that loss. 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies