Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Illinois State Tax form ICR error 2018

I am furious that after using this product for over 20 years without issue because of the integrity of the product that I get a notice from the State of Illinois that my returns are wrong because of the Real Estate Taxes.  After reviewing this, the turbotax autocaluation on the ICR Form entered the RE taxes multiple times, throwing the credit calculation off. 

WHO is suppose to check these calculations BEFORE you roll your product out???? What recourse do I have with Turbo tax.  Fuming that I have to correct the error manually and resend the documents!! Thanks Turbo Tax

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Antdie

I just finished my 2021 taxes and noticed that I have not received an Illinois real estate tax credit, which should be 5% of the real estate taxes I paid during the year.  I realized that I have not received this credit for at least the past 3 years.  The problem with 2020 (which I pulled back from Turbo Tax to review and looked behind the scenes) is that Schedule ICR is incomplete.  TurboTax is missing steps 4e, 4g, step 5 and step 6. The calculation is never done.  Based upon your comment, 2018 had problems. I tried to submit a question within the software as soon as I realized what was happening - but the virtual app did nothing with the question.  I do not know how to report this and now I have to determine what years are bad and see how to refile with Illinois to get my credit. We're talking real estate taxes upwards of 9K or more. I saw that you can re-file up to 3 years back within Turbotax - but if the software has a bug, that wouldn't work!  Who do I contact at Turbo Tax to get this problem fixed in their software? https://www2.illinois.gov/rev/forms/incometax/Documents/currentyear/individual/il-1040-schedule-icr.... 

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

If you Amend your Illinois prior year returns, you will need to download the desktop version of TurboTax (if you didn't use it originally).

On the FORMS link at the upper right, 'Open Form' ICR for Illinois. 

You can make your real estate tax entries directly on form and mail in your amended returns if this affects your original refund/tax due.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm an Illinois resident and the RE tax credit does work on the desktop version. not in the ICR instructions or on the tax forms or is that you get $0 credit if your Illinois adjusted gross income is more than $500,000 married or $250,000 for any other filing status. Illinois PUB 108

also if you are a non-resident of Illinois you don't get the credit even if you have a residence in Illinois

the amount carries from schedule A but it may include re taxes for other states depending on how you entered info for schedule a

there are also certain hoops you must jump trough

Turbotax requires the following questions to be answered (this is to make sure the credit is available under ILLinois law)

a) was this your personal residence for the prior year (for 2020 it will ask about 2019 and for 2021 about 2020 - because Illinois is a year behind in its taxes in 2020 yo really pay 2019 re taxes)

b) did you own the residence for the year in question

c) did you pay the bill by the end of the following year (the 2020 bill by the end of 2021 for example)

d) did the bill include property used as your personal residence 

all 4 of these questions must be answered yes to get the credit

in addition the form requires the county and index number

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies