Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Illinois State return was rejected

It said they need  a signature..but it doesn't  let me sign 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

You must enter your IL PIN as your efile signature.

The pin from Illinois is used to verify your identity when filing your tax return. 

If you live in IL, you MUST get an IL PIN from the state department.

If you don’t know your Illinois PIN you can:

To get your PIN, you will need your Social Security Number and one of the following:

1.    2018 Adjusted Gross Income (IL-1040, line 1)

2.   Drivers’ license number

3.   Illinois state ID number

Before you can e-file your Illinois taxes, Illinois requires that you provide some personal information to confirm your identity. They’ll compare this info with their records before they accept your tax return. If the information doesn’t match, there may be delays processing your taxes.

@lindasuesmith59 Did you enter your IL PIN? Follow these steps:

1. Open your tax return, if it's not already open.
  2. Select File and proceed to the Sign Your Illinois Return screen.
  3. On this screen, select I don't have my Illinois 2018 Adjusted Gross Income.
  4. Enter your signature information in only one of the signature option fields, leaving the others blank:
    • 2018 AGI from line 1 of your 2018 Form IL-1040 (not your federal AGI from your IRS 1040 form); or
    • 8-digit Illinois PIN, which you might be able look up at the Illinois Department of Revenue's website; or
    • Illinois driver's license number or State ID (info from other states won't work; must be from Illinois).
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
janehj

i need to correct the weight from drivers license but i cannot find the page to enter this. it is not on the drivers license page.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

You need to correct your weight with the state of Illinois to get your IL-PIN to efile your state tax return.  You can goto the  IL-PIN Inquiry website or call 1-800-732-8866.  To retrieve your PIN you will need one of the following pieces of information to retrieve your PIN. 

• Drivers License
  • State ID Number

I am having the same issue and can not find a place to input the IL State pin. Without it, the efile to the state is rejected. 

rejected because there is no place to enter the IL state pin. Without the pin regardless of what turbo says, IL will not accept the emailed return. No on seems to be able to tell us how to enter the 8 character pin for IL. In the Turbo instructions it makes it sound like enter your driver's license or state id is sufficient and that is not true. Just like Federal in order to efile you must enter the IL Pin and there is no place I can find that allows you to do this. I even tried entering another line of data where you type in IL driver's license or state pin but Turbo would not allow that.

rejected because the 8 character IL Pin is not there. There is no place to enter it in Turbo 2019.

This does not answer my question

Many have same problem. I have the same problem. Without the pin, IL will not allow you to efile. Turbo Tax answers just keep telling me to fix what is missing. so I am now preparing to just print and mail. I have been trying to get answer for 4 days now. 

Despair of calling Turbotax again because I've already been told by Turbotax that it's Illinois' problem not Turbotax's for the reason Illinois 2020 returns are being rejected because my wife and I used our drivers licenses to sign the Turbotax efile.  My wife and I triple checked our numbers and refiled but of course we have no confidence in Turbotax anymore which matches preexisting Illinoid condition we all suffer from in state.  So, yet again Turbotax blames another entity for a glitch and the other entity blames Turbotax.  Seems like a Federal case.   If anyone knows anyone from the Feds who can help Turbotax deal with a state like Illinois, please post that person's contact information.  I would love to pursue this and find out the person, the actual human being, I need to talk to.  Keep in mind y'all that this the Illinois rejection is a new glitch that an actual human being somewhere has programmed to cause this headache for Illinois State filings for 2020.  Today is 02/26/2021 and April 15th, 2021 is fast approaching.  Note for all those who come to this issue created newly for you in 2021:  my wife and I got on this merry go round 12 February 2021.  Be confident that it will not be the only newly manufactured glitch you will be face with this tax year!  Thanks, Turbotax!  Sign me, Illinoid.

Amy,  Another  same ole Turbotax and/or Illinois manufactured  glitch rears it's ugly head to reject not just my Illinois 2020 tax return but the Illinois state return of everyone I know who has filed with Turbotax.   The reason Turbotax offers is not Illinois's problem, so Illinois claims.  I'm told by several folks from Illinois with whom I have talked here in Chicago that I just gotta talk to Turbotax because all my triple checked information is correct with Illinois and entered correctly when I sign the Turbotax efile with my Illinois driver's license.  Turbotax offers to fix their problem but gives me a made-up irrelevant "answer" like the kind you point to for the other hostage to follow.   Again, the average hostage taxpayer is caught between Scylla and Charibdis.  Which is Turbotax and which is the State of Illinois of course I ain't saying nuthin bout nuthin, but just call me:   IIlinoid.  Or should my new handle be Turbonoid? 02/26/2021

TurboTax does not ask for any Illinois taxpayer ID data. Hence TT cannot meet the requirements to e'file.  Please send me a refund for the State filing. 

Hi Amy, 

TT does not ask for any Illinois unique identifers relating to the taxpayer's records.  Hence we cannot sign the form, please refund the fee I paid for you to efile.  I will efile myself on the Illinois web page. 

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

To request a state refund,  please contact customer support. Please see the Customer Support phone number here. If you would like to reach out through our website, please see the TurboTax FAQ below for contact information: https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

My 2021 il e file was rejected because of improper AGI amount from prior year filing. need help to change please.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies