turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The VA and MD reciprocal agreement did not get flagged in TurboTax. Now VA says I owe 2015 back taxes. What do I do? Can I get taxes back from MD?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

The VA and MD reciprocal agreement did not get flagged in TurboTax. Now VA says I owe 2015 back taxes. What do I do? Can I get taxes back from MD?

If you live in VA and earn wages in MD, and that is your only income from MD, then you should not have to file an MD return at all unless you had MD tax withheld in error by your employer. So, yes, you can file amended return(s) with MD claiming no MD income so you can get all of the taxes back as a refund. VA gets to tax all of your income regardless of source since you are a resident there.

Note that in when completing the TT personal info section and it asks if you "..earned money in any other state?" it sees that you are a VA resident and warns you on that screen to not to select Yes and pick any reciprocal state, of which MD is one, as a state you earned money in if it was only wages. So you did get the warning ("flagged") but TT cannot prevent you from filing a nonresident MD return if that's what you really want.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Have you already filed or are you still in the preparation phase?

This came in a letter addressing 2015 taxes so yes already filed.
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

If you live in VA and earn wages in MD, and that is your only income from MD, then you should not have to file an MD return at all unless you had MD tax withheld in error by your employer. So, yes, you can file amended return(s) with MD claiming no MD income so you can get all of the taxes back as a refund. VA gets to tax all of your income regardless of source since you are a resident there.

Note that in when completing the TT personal info section and it asks if you "..earned money in any other state?" it sees that you are a VA resident and warns you on that screen to not to select Yes and pick any reciprocal state, of which MD is one, as a state you earned money in if it was only wages. So you did get the warning ("flagged") but TT cannot prevent you from filing a nonresident MD return if that's what you really want.

Thank you that was very helpful!! I feel like some of this should have been taught in high school. I paid VA the back taxes. Now I need to refile in M.D. to get those taxes back. Thank you so much for your help!

Your reply helped me understand my problem with non-resident rental income.  I couldn't understand why TT had not flagged this when it was brought to my attention recently, but I didn't realize I had checked "No" to income in another state at the very beginning of my return info. I will have to file amended returns.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies