Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nicobru21

If my residence is Colorado on my state tax since I worked there over half a year is it my residence on my info part? Or is it PA since that is my driver's license?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

If my residence is Colorado on my state tax since I worked there over half a year is it my residence on my info part? Or is it PA since that is my driver's license?

Typically your resident state is the state in which you live, the state in which your permanent home is, the state which you established ties to (bank accounts, vehicle registrations, driver's license, voting registration, doctors, job). It is not one factor that determines your resident state; it is the intent shown by your actions to establish a residence.  You could have more than one resident state in a tax year; if you moved/abandoned resident ties in one state and established ties in a new state.  

It sounds like you lived in PA for part of the year and in CO the rest of the year. 

In the "My Info" section in TurboTax you are asked what state was your resident state on Dec 31, 2022.  You are then asked if you had another resident state in the year and if yes, what state and when did you move.  Your answers here generate the resident or part-year resident forms for the states.  

This does not seem to be applicable for you since you spent over the 1/2 the year working in CO, but some taxpayers might also have resident state but commute to work or only work a few days/weeks in another state. In that case you would indicate your resident state(s) as above and then in the "My Info" section scroll down to "Other State Income" and answer "Yes" you earned income in another state and select that state.  This generates a nonresident form for that specific state. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies