gkgobucks

If my Ohio State 2017 taxes included a 2017 Ohio SD 100 School District Income Tax Return, Does that mean it was itemized?

I am being asked by TT for my 2018 filing  if I filed an itemized my 2017 Ohio State return.

KittyM

No, if your state return was "itemized," it will generally contain a state form called "Schedule A Itemized Deductions." 

KittyM

Hal_Al

If you have an SD 100, it means you live in a School district with an income tax. Although administered by the Ohio Dept. of Taxation; an Ohio School District Income Tax (SDIT) return is completely separate from the Ohio State Income tax. It has nothing to do with Schedule A on the state return.

As for the Ohio state return, "itemizing" is a misnomer. Unlike the federal return, there is no standard deduction. So there is no choice between standard and itemizing.  Certain expenses are allowed to be deducted form your income. Only one of them just happens to also be a  federal itemized deduction (medical expenses).