EmEm417

If my 1099G doesn't have the state ID number but I paid state taxes on my unemployment, what should I do?

I got my 1099G and the only thing missing is the state ID number. I'm in a state that sees unemployment as taxable income and it shows I paid taxes. I just can't progress from here. What should I do? FAQs gives no information and Unemployment phone lines are completely swamped.
BillM223

This year we have seen a number of states issue 1099-G forms that have tax withheld in box 11, but boxes 10a and/or 10b are empty. TurboTax requires that if box 11 has a value, then boxes 10a and 10b must also have entries.

Box 10a is probably the two-letter state code for your state (example: "MI" for Michigan). The filer identification number for box 10b is likely to be the same to the Payer’s TIN on the left side of the form.

EmEm417

So I just put in the federal number? If so, I'm going to feel quite silly for this...

BillM223

Yes, go ahead and do so. Historically, the state file ID was related to the Payer's TIN (like IL-26-1234567) anyway.

If the state won't tell you and they won't answer their phones, it's the best you can do under the circumstances. Besides, a copy of this data should have been sent to the state already, so there should not be a problem.

royed1

If my 1099R doesn't have the state ID number but I paid state taxes what should I do?

JotikaT2

You will need to contact the agency that issued you the Form 1099-G to obtain the state ID number. 

The amounts on this form are reported to the taxing agencies and matched with the amounts reported on your tax return.

See the link below and select the applicable state to find out how to contact your particular state.

Contact information for 1099-G forms

@royed1

syadi79105

I just called IDES, according to the agent, you can leave the box for state id number blank, as long as you enter the federal id number. Hope it help. 😊