If I work remotely for more than 6 months in Texas...

If I work remotely for more than 6 months in Texas for a job that’s originally in California, do I have to pay California taxes?

I work at a tech company that has allowed me to work remotely due to covid. I have been living with my parents in Texas for more than 6 months since. Does this mean I can file taxes in Texas and save on the 13.3% state tax? I also have a Texas driver’s license.

If you did not live or physically work in CA as an employee then the wages are not taxable to CA. 

However, if your domicile is still in CA, and you are in TX for a "temporary or transient purpose", your income would still be taxable by CA.

See page 10 of this reference for CA's definition of "domicile":  https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2019/2019-1031-publication.pdf

See page 6 of the same reference ("Leaving California") for CA's rules on temporary absences from the state.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.**

@Tom @Critter-3  -you are correct as of this date (11/29/20) - but probably best to watch for changes as some states attempt to reach across borders - see here for comprehensive listing - updates as of 11/23/2020

State Guidance related to COVID-19: Telecommuting Issues Updated last on November 23, 2020

Scruffy Curmudgeon
PFFM, IAFF, Locals 718 & 30, retired firefighter/medic; university faculty - Strategy & Quantitative Methods Med-M&M, Law discriminatory statistics, Med & PH - epidemiology statistics;
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3
-------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------No Not an Intuit Employee - Just donating my time