Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jiseop

If I work remotely for more than 6 months in Texas for a job that’s originally in California, do I have to pay California taxes?

I work at a tech company that has allowed me to work remotely due to covid. I have been living with my parents in Texas for more than 6 months since. Does this mean I can file taxes in Texas and save on the 13.3% state tax? I also have a Texas driver’s license.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If I work remotely for more than 6 months in Texas for a job that’s originally in California, do I have to pay California taxes?

If you did not live or physically work in CA as an employee then the wages are not taxable to CA. 

TomD8
Level 15

However, if your domicile is still in CA, and you are in TX for a "temporary or transient purpose", your income would still be taxable by CA.

See page 10 of this reference for CA's definition of "domicile":  https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2019/2019-1031-publication.pdf

See page 6 of the same reference ("Leaving California") for CA's rules on temporary absences from the state.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

@Tom @Critter-3  -you are correct as of this date (11/29/20) - but probably best to watch for changes as some states attempt to reach across borders - see here for comprehensive listing - updates as of 11/23/2020

State Guidance related to COVID-19: Telecommuting Issues Updated last on November 23, 2020

If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies