turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tony846

If i left my residence and family in texas, and took a job in indiana february 2017 and i am still here am I considered a resident or non-resident of indiana?

if my residence and family is in texas, and I took a job in indiana february 2017 with the intent of moving back at first opportunity, but stayed throughout the year, for state tax purposes am i considered a resident or non-resident of indiana? will my military retirement have to be added into state income?    

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If i left my residence and family in texas, and took a job in indiana february 2017 and i am still here am I considered a resident or non-resident of indiana?

Based on what you are sharing, you are considered a part-year nonresident of Indiana.  You will only be taxed on the wages earned in Indiana.  However, your military retirement is taxed by your state of residence when you receive them, which would be Texas if there was a state income tax.

The Indiana Department of Revenue website states, "if you were a legal resident of another state and had income from Indiana (except certain interest, dividends, or pension income), you must file Form IT-40PNR."

For your federal tax return, your residence is where you earn your income.  This is called your tax home.  Generally, you will not be able to deduct the cost of travel between Texas and Indiana; nor can you deduct your living expenses while working in Indiana.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Based on what you are sharing, you are considered a part-year nonresident of Indiana.  You will only be taxed on the wages earned in Indiana.  However, your military retirement is taxed by your state of residence when you receive them, which would be Texas if there was a state income tax.

The Indiana Department of Revenue website states, "if you were a legal resident of another state and had income from Indiana (except certain interest, dividends, or pension income), you must file Form IT-40PNR."

For your federal tax return, your residence is where you earn your income.  This is called your tax home.  Generally, you will not be able to deduct the cost of travel between Texas and Indiana; nor can you deduct your living expenses while working in Indiana.

Manage cookies