turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I work in MS, but live in TN. I worked from home for 6 months last year so can I file a partial state income tax return for MS last year.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ev2010
Returning Member

I work in MS, but live in TN. I worked from home for 6 months last year so can I file a partial state income tax return for MS last year.

How do I file a part-year state return?

If you were a resident of 2 different states during the tax year (for example, if you moved from one state to another), you'll normally file part-year returns in both states, assuming each state collects income tax and you had income in each state.

TurboTax handles part-year returns, but you need to make sure you've set up your personal information correctly to trigger the part-year state interviews:

1. Go into Turbo Tax and select My Info.
  2. A Your Personal Info screen will pop up.
  3. Question number 2 asks you the state(s) you lived in during 2017. Select your state of residence from a drop-down menu.
  4. Next, you'll be asked if you lived in another state in 2017. Answer Yes and a new section will appear asking for your previous state of residence.
  5. Fill out the date when you moved to your current state.
  6. If the rest of your information is accurate, click the blue Continue button in the lower-right corner of the screen until you finish.

After you finish your federal return, you'll automatically move to State Taxes, where you'll see your part-year states listed. We suggest you prepare the return for the state you currently live in, followed by your former state.

Important: If you also see a nonresident state return on the State Taxes tab, complete that return before you work on your part-year return(s) to ensure your tax credits are calculated correctly.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies