turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I went to school in Michigan, and I worked on campus jobs, but I never filed taxes in that state because I am a legally an Ohio resident. Do I need to file that I lived in Michigan, or no because I di

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

I went to school in Michigan, and I worked on campus jobs, but I never filed taxes in that state because I am a legally an Ohio resident. Do I need to file that I lived in Michigan, or no because I di

Out-of-state students attending a Michigan college or university are considered nonresidents. You may be required to file a nonresident state return.

If your federal adjusted gross income is over $4,050 then you are required to file a nonresident Michigan state return. However, the filing requirement is different if you were claimed as a dependent. In that case, you are required to file if your federal adjusted gross income is over $1,500 (single or married filing separately) or over $3,000 if filing a married filing joint return. 

Even if you are not required to file you may want to in order to claim a refund of tax withheld. Follow the directions in the TurboTax FAQ below if you need to prepare a nonresident state return. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302052

Hal_Al
Level 15

No, you do not need to file a MI return. Full time students, who use their parents (or their own) Ohio residence address are covered by the reciprocity agreement.

Ohio has a reciprocal agreement, on wages,  with all neighboring states. No state taxes are withheld or due and you do not normally need to file a return for the other state (MI, PA, KY, WV, IN). But OH will tax you on your other state income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies