turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Light3

I was in FL for 11 mths and moved to MN in Dec. The APTC was given based on FL. When I file using my current MN address it says APTC is excess. What do I do?

The Advanced Premium Tax Credit is reconciled based on state of residence.  If I was in FL for 11 months and moved to MN only in Dec can I use my FL address for filing so that the APTC does not seem like it is in excess?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I was in FL for 11 mths and moved to MN in Dec. The APTC was given based on FL. When I file using my current MN address it says APTC is excess. What do I do?

Light3,

I need some clarification about your situation:

(a) Did you have Marketplace coverage separately from FL and MN?

(b) Did you receive form 1095-A from FL?  Ditto from MN?

Light3

No I only had Marketplace coverage from Florida

i received 1095A from Florida Marketplace 

Take a look at your FL policy to see it covered full months, i.e. that it would have continued coverage until the end of Dec. (I assume you didn't become an MN resident until after Dec 1.)  Also, did you explicitly cancel the FL coverage in Dec?

The APTC tax form does ask for what states you resided in.   Your issue is whether you have to repay for the month you moved to MN.

One item from www.healthinsurance.org strongly suggests that your FL coverage would have to have been active through at least the end of December:

Outside of open enrollment (ie, if you’re enrolling due to a qualifying event), the regular schedule in all but two states works like this (unless you’re enrolling due to loss of coverage, marriage, or adding a dependent; these scenarios are discussed below:(

• If you enroll by the 15th of the month, your coverage will take effect the first of the following month.
  • If you enroll between the 16th and the end of the month, your coverage will take effect the first of the second following month.

So an enrollment completed on May 9 would have a June 1 effective date, but an enrollment completed on May 17 would have a July 1 effective date.

Source: https://www.healthinsurance.org/faqs/if-i-enroll-in-the-exchanges-will-that-coverage-take-effect-imm...
Follow us: @hio_org on Twitter | healthinsurance.org on Facebook

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies