woody2307

I purchased 2 different Turbotax states and they did not pick up on taxes paid to both states on the same income. Why not?

States were Arizona and Arkansas.
DanPaul02

The taxpayer tells each state what part of the income was earned in that state.  TurboTax does not know that.

Mike9241

also for the correct computation if either state is your non-resident state that must be completed first so the correct credit on double-taxed income can be computed for the resident state.

woody2307

My point was the program doesn't ask, or provide any information on this problem. In the case of Arizona, there are specific forms that have to be filed.

woody2307

There is nothing in either of the states that mentions anything about double taxes. Let alone doing one before the other.

fanfare

with tax software, you have to do the non-resident state first.

If you didn't know that, delete the state tax returns and start again.

SteamTrain

For Arizona and Arkansas  (either of which could be your resident state)......the question about the credit is only asked about during the preparation of  your resident state tax return (provided you fully prepared the non-resident state first)

_____________________________________

While it's Not applicable in this case, but for other AZ residents who read this, the identity of "other" state is critical.....For Arizona residents working in OR, CA, IN, or VA, the order is reversed....you do the resident state first, which taxes the nonresident wage income without a credit , and then the Nonresident state is filled in second, and the non-resident state has (or should have) the state credit  question.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*