turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

james-diefenderf
Returning Member

I need to file two separate State returns. State 1 accepts my State portion adjustments State 2 does not accept my State portion adjustments What may be the problem?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I need to file two separate State returns. State 1 accepts my State portion adjustments State 2 does not accept my State portion adjustments What may be the problem?

@ james-diefenderf 

I don't know much about filing 2 state returns, but I'll ask for some basic info that might help someone else help you who comes along later.

You didn't describe your situation.

Were these 2 part-year resident returns; i.e., were you a resident of 2 different states during the tax year?  Or are they a non-resident return and a resident return?

If the latter, did you prepare the non-resident state first (recommended) before you prepared any resident or part-year state return? 

See these FAQs:

FAQ: How do I file a nonresident state return?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/how-do-i-file-a-nonresident-state-return/00/26066

FAQ:  How do I file a part-year state return?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/how-do-i-file-a-part-year-state-return/00/26057

james-diefenderf
Returning Member

@mesquitebean 

My wife lives full-time in our home in Montana. I work in Utah and live there most of the year. So I consider myself a Resident of Utah and Non-Resident of Montana. I consider her a Resident of Montana. 

I have deleted the both States and started with the Non-Resident States (Montana). However, when I go through and indicate the portions of income for Montana it does not carry over as I think it should. As an example, if our federal income is $1,000 but only $500 was earned by in Montana then our adjusted Income for Montana should be $500. But this is not the case. It is still showing $1,000. 

This is the first year I have noticed this problem. What am I missing???

I'm sorry, but I can't help you with anything specific on the 2 state returns.   As I mentioned in my comment above, I wanted to provide some general info and get the background info of your situation (which you provided) and was hoping that by now someone familiar with state returns would see your thread.  And it's still possible, but unpredictable if/when.

Also, folks likely need to know the filing status you're using to prepare the Federal and state returns; i.e, if you are filing as married filing jointly (MFJ) for all the returns, or if any have status of filing separately (MFS), etc.   In your question title, when you used the term "2 separate state returns" , does that mean you are filing the state returns as MFS, or did you use that term to merely indicate different states?  So the filing status should probably be clarified for any future responders.

If no one assists in this thread, however, then at some point you may wish to phone the folks at TurboTax Support to see if they can assist you with this in realtime. 

Support hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern), 7 days/week

FAQ: What is the TurboTax phone number?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Or use this contact form:
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies