Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need to enter 0 for income on state return for payroll issue paying taxes to a state that I did not live or work in. They advise me to do this to get the taxes back.

I have gone through the state taxes in Turbo and I do not see where to do this.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

I need to enter 0 for income on state return for payroll issue paying taxes to a state that I did not live or work in. They advise me to do this to get the taxes back.

@Confused563 

You have the right idea, the Ohio software requires you to adjust the W-2 to reallocate the income to the correct state.

Adjust the W2 to show zero in box 16 for OH; leave the OH withholding in box 17. For GA. adjust box 16 to include the wages that were once listed for Ohio. 

View solution in original post

8 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Each state is different and no don’t mention what state you are working on.

First verify that you are preparing a nonresident return for the state you did not live or work in.

Most states will have a screen asking how much of your W-2 income should be reported to that state. Enter $0 here.

A few states use the state wages from Box 16 of the W-2. In those states change the W-2 amount to $0. You can also do this if you can’t find the adjustment screen in the state program.

Switching wages to $0 should only be done with a payroll mistake. Income from a state you did not live or work in can still be taxable if paid as a result of work you did in that state, such as unused vacation or sick time, employee stock or unemployment.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@ErnieS0 It is for Ohio. I moved to GA 12/31/2020 but my payroll did not correct W2 even though they were aware of the move before the first day of working in GA on 1/4/2021 so some taxes were paid to Ohio even though I did not live or work in Ohio for any of 2021. They advised me to just file and correct it instead of correcting my W2 for me and that I should be able to get all of it back this way. I would assume if I adjust the W2 to show zero for that state then for GA I need to adjust it to include the wages that were once listed for Ohio. Is that correct?

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Don't correct the W2 itself, but go to the Ohio return and use any allocation section to state that income earned in Ohio as a nonresident is $0.  Make sure you have selected the nonresident return.  If there is any Ohio withholdings, they should be fully refunded.  

@DanielV01 I was looking for that option but it is not there as Turbo tax is just pulling it over from W2. How do I get to it?

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

@Confused563  Unfortunately we don't have access to your account or return.  If there is no Ohio line on your W2 or Ohio tax withheld, you don't need to file an Ohio tax return.  If any other combination, and you are struggling to resolve it, then file an extension.  This will give you extra time to fix the entries.

@DanielV01 @ErnieS0 Thanks for the advice. There are taxes on my W2 for Ohio so I have to file both states since my payroll does not want to correct their error. I will try to figure out where to change this at. Only option I see is to adjust it on my W2 for both states which is what I thought Ernie mentioned. I do not see you are mentioning Daniel but will look one more time or just file extensions on the states. I don't owe any monies to any state or federal so extensions is fine too. Thanks.

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Ohio expert @Hal_Al might have an additional suggestion on how it can pass diagnostics and efile.

Hal_Al
Level 15

@Confused563 

You have the right idea, the Ohio software requires you to adjust the W-2 to reallocate the income to the correct state.

Adjust the W2 to show zero in box 16 for OH; leave the OH withholding in box 17. For GA. adjust box 16 to include the wages that were once listed for Ohio. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies