vfulgaro

I need help with my State income tax. I worked in Ca but lived in Nevada for my job. Then moved back to Ca. I think I need help with y CA state.

GeoffreyG

Your state tax situation should be fairly simple, if your only two states are California and Nevada.  Since Nevada has no personal income tax system, you have no need to file any tax return there, and there is no state tax credit that you would need to then claim on your California state tax return.  In other words, because NV is a no tax state, there is no possibility of double-taxed income.  Instead, to make things as as easy as possible on yourself, please consider these tax facts.

1) If you live in NV and work in CA, then CA taxes all of your wage (job) income.

2) If you live in CA and work in NV, then CA taxes all of your wage (job) income.

3) If you live in CA and work in CA, then CA taxes all of your wage (job) income.

4) Only when you live in NV and work in NV does CA not tax your wage (job) income.

Therefore, unless you have taxable income other than W-2 wage income (such as stock sales, earned interest, dividends, rental property income, etc.), you can safely assume that CA will be taxing all of your job income.  One acceptable way to file your state tax return in that instance is to just file a single CA "part-year" resident tax return, and declare that all of your W-2 income is taxable to CA.  If you take that approach, this should then resolve your issue.

However, if there are other complications, if you would like further help, or you would just like to speak to a tax expert and have them talk you through the tax return filing process (including screen-sharing with your tax return), then please feel free to give us a call.  As a TurboTax Deluxe online customer, the call is free to you.  Here is a link that you can use to create a support ticket and reach us.  We are open 7 days a week during busy tax season.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Thank you for asking this question.

pkothare8083

Hello,

What about you work remotely for a company in California but are a resident of Nevada? I never work onsite or travel to California ever, in this case I am assuming I will have to pay no state income tax?

RaifH

Yes, you are correct. If you are working entirely remotely from Nevada, your income is considered sourced in Nevada and you will not have to pay any California income tax or file a state return unless your employer withheld state taxes. If they did withhold California taxes, you would file a nonresident return and allocate $0 of your income to California to receive a refund of the entire amount that was withheld. 

@pkothare8083

1bernal

Ok.  So I just moved to Nevada on 4/20/2022.  

I work remotely most of the time, but do need to travel to CA for in person work 3-4 days each month.  How does my state income tax work?  Is it all taxed by CA or just the days that I am physically in CA?

Thanks

Holly

TomD8

@1bernal --

Assuming you're a W2 employee and a Nevada resident, CA will tax only the income you earned from work actually (physically) performed within CA. 

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.