vfulgaro

I need help with my State income tax. I worked in Ca but lived in Nevada for my job. Then moved back to Ca. I think I need help with y CA state.

GeoffreyG

Your state tax situation should be fairly simple, if your only two states are California and Nevada.  Since Nevada has no personal income tax system, you have no need to file any tax return there, and there is no state tax credit that you would need to then claim on your California state tax return.  In other words, because NV is a no tax state, there is no possibility of double-taxed income.  Instead, to make things as as easy as possible on yourself, please consider these tax facts.

1) If you live in NV and work in CA, then CA taxes all of your wage (job) income.

2) If you live in CA and work in NV, then CA taxes all of your wage (job) income.

3) If you live in CA and work in CA, then CA taxes all of your wage (job) income.

4) Only when you live in NV and work in NV does CA not tax your wage (job) income.

Therefore, unless you have taxable income other than W-2 wage income (such as stock sales, earned interest, dividends, rental property income, etc.), you can safely assume that CA will be taxing all of your job income.  One acceptable way to file your state tax return in that instance is to just file a single CA "part-year" resident tax return, and declare that all of your W-2 income is taxable to CA.  If you take that approach, this should then resolve your issue.

However, if there are other complications, if you would like further help, or you would just like to speak to a tax expert and have them talk you through the tax return filing process (including screen-sharing with your tax return), then please feel free to give us a call.  As a TurboTax Deluxe online customer, the call is free to you.  Here is a link that you can use to create a support ticket and reach us.  We are open 7 days a week during busy tax season.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Thank you for asking this question.