turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm a remote employee for a company in a different state from which I lived in 2016. I moved right at the end of the year (December 9th) to a different state. Do I have to file two state returns?

I just moved to Utah from Michigan at the end of 2016. I work remotely from my home for a company in Minnesota (I have worked for the majority of 2016 this way). I'm filing a Michigan state tax return for my wages earned as a remote employee in 2016. However, since we moved to Utah in December and I am a remote employee still, do I have to file an additional state tax return for Utah?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

I'm a remote employee for a company in a different state from which I lived in 2016. I moved right at the end of the year (December 9th) to a different state. Do I have to file two state returns?

Yes, according to the Utah Tax Commission, a part-year resident must file a state tax return to report all income received during the time you are a Utah resident.

We recommend that you complete the state interview for Michigan before you begin the interview for Utah. This allows TurboTax to apply any tax credits from your former state to your new state.

If asked to allocate income between the two states, you may base your calculations on the number of months (or days) that you lived in each state. For example, if you lived in Michigan for 344 / 366 days and earned a total of $24,000, you would enter $22,557 as the income for Michigan ($24,000 x 344/366).

Because you work remotely, your income is earned where you provide the service (at home) and not where the company is located.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies