Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in Washington DC but my employer is based in NY. How do my state taxes work?

I know that I will have to pay NY state taxes because of how handles taxes based on my employer being there.

So I would first file a NY state non-resident tax form, and pay NY state taxes. Then I would file a DC resident state tax form. Is that correct?

Would I get credit in DC for 100% of the state taxes I paid in NY? I want to be sure I won't get double-taxed on the same income. 

Thanks in advance!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

I live in Washington DC but my employer is based in NY. How do my state taxes work?

Yes, do the two states in the order you suggest, then look at line 1 of Schedule U on your DC return and see if your New York state taxes appear there as a credit in DC.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

...........but, 100%credit ?....perhaps not.  DC would allow a credit of "up-to" what DC would have charged for the same income.  So if NY is taxing at 6.2% and DC is taxing at 4%, DC would only allow a 4% credit.

But that really depends on what the total double-taxed portion of your income is,  because DC and NY have progressive rates:  NY is 6.21% to 8.82%, and DC is 4% to 8.5% over differing income ranges.....which is why the software is needed to puzzle it all out.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies