Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

csyphers

I live and work in NY State. My union says I can deduct my union dues from my STATE taxes. Where do I do that?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ChristieB

I live and work in NY State. My union says I can deduct my union dues from my STATE taxes. Where do I do that?

Union dues will be entered in your Federal portion of TurboTax, and then automatically transfer over to your New York IT-196, which is your resident, nonresident, and part-year resident itemized deductions form onto line 21 (Unreimbursed Employee Expenses - job travel, union dues, etc).

To get to this screen, follow the instructions below: 

When logged into Turbo Tax: 

1.) Click Federal

2.) Deductions & Credits

3.) Employment Expenses

4.) Job Expenses for W-2 Income

5.) Click Yes to having these types of expenses, and then answer the questions that follow

6.) When you arrive at the screen that says Any other expenses? Enter your Union Dues here

Unfortunately, while they are technically 100% deductible this year, they are only such if you Itemize your returns on your New York state return. 

If your Standard Deduction is still higher than the sum of all of your Itemized Deductions, it will automatically apply your standard deduction on line 34 of your New York IT-201 return in order to give you the most benefit. This is why you may not see anything change when you enter this information. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies