turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a 1099G. The question is from what state, it's Texas, but Texas is missing. What do I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I have a 1099G. The question is from what state, it's Texas, but Texas is missing. What do I do?

Leave all the boxes for state taxes blank on the 1099-G.  Texas does not have a personal income tax so there will not be any state income taxes withheld on the unemployment compensation.

Question 10a can not be blank. It won't let me continue 

Or....I wonder if you are in the wrong place to enter the 1099G for unemployment.   Are you in the spot to enter a state or local tax refund that is on a 1099G?   You will not find TX there.

For your unemployment 1099G:

UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION

Unemployment compensation is taxable on your federal return. 

You will have to enter a 1099G that is issued by your state.

Some states will mail out the 1099G.  Or you might need to go to your state’s unemployment website and use the password, etc. that you have been using to certify for weekly benefits to get your 1099G from the state’s site.

Enter your 1099G in Federal>Wages & Income>Unemployment

Go through the screens very carefully, making sure  to enter any federal/state tax you had withheld from the unemployment.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/where-do-i-report-a-1099-g-for-unemploymen...

STATES THAT TAX UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS

AZ, AR, CO, CT, DE, DC, GA, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, MA, ME, MD, MI, MN, MS, MO, NB, NM, NY,NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, RI, SC, UT, VT, WV, WI

STATES THAT DO NOT  TAX UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS on the state return

AK, CA, FL, MT, NH, NJ, NV ,PA, SD, TN, TX, VA, WA, WY

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/personal-income-taxes/help/how-does-receiving-unemployment-affect-...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Boxes 10a, 10b and 11 should be left blank.  If you are still seeing a error then delete the form and re-enter the 1099-G making sure you do not try and enter anything in boxes 10a, 10b and 11

Enter unemployment compensation in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to unemployment compensation

Thank you for your help. I fixed it. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies