Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

andmoench

I had to mail in my state of IL tax filing. How can I confirm they received it and that the cashed check payment was by them?

My check was cashed but I received a notice from the state of IL about an estimated Late tax penalty after having paid my taxes.  I want to confirm they received everything properly and the notice was a mistake.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I had to mail in my state of IL tax filing. How can I confirm they received it and that the cashed check payment was by them?

An estimated tax penalty has nothing to do with when you filed your tax return or when you paid the tax that was due on the return. Estimated tax is the quarterly payments that you make during the year if your withholding is too low or you have significant income from which no tax is withheld. You incurred an estimated tax penalty because you did not pay enough estimated tax during the year, or did not pay it early enough in the year. Or maybe you didn't make any estimated tax payments at all. The result of the insufficient estimated tax payments was that the amount you owed when you filed your tax return was more than the level at which estimated tax payments are required.

TomD8
Level 15

You can check the status of your Illinois estimated tax payments via a "My Tax Illinois" account.  See this website for details:

https://tax.illinois.gov/programs/mytax.html

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

If you got an estmated tax withholding penalty, that tells you the state is looking at your tax return.

Use other superior tax prep software that correctly calculates this penalty based on the dates you paid so you will not be surprised with an additional bill.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies