baileybirdwell

I earned most of my income in a different state than I live, how do I file my return ?

DS30

It depends on the states involved.

Since you stated that you live in TN (which has no state income taxes on earned income) but worked in KY (which has a state income tax on earned income), you will need to file a KY nonresident state income tax return to report your KY-sourced income.

Usually you will get a state income tax credit in your home state for state taxes paid on income taxed in another state. But since TN have no state income taxes on earned income, you will not be able to claim any state tax credit in TN.

Here is additional information about filing in multiple states (select "see more answer" to view the entire attachment)

DS30

What are the states you worked /lived in ?
baileybirdwell

I live in Tennessee. Worked in Kentucky.
DS30

It depends on the states involved.

baileybirdwell

So do I need to enter the full amount i made for the year from my work in Kentucky or just the state income tax ?
DS30

You include the full amount you made in KY as your KY sourced income on your KY nonresident state income tax return. When you are working on the return in TurboTax, you will be able to do the income allocation in the program.