Jane42

I E filed my federal taxes. Went back to file my State and it won't let me. Says go back and select Fed. It is already gone, but marked.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the problem and sign up for updates - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/why-am-i-not-able-to-e-file-my-state-return-after-...

jmannix3

I need this function to be fixed ASAP as I cant submit my state returns. I sent the Federal return via e-file and then decided several hours later to file my 2 state electronically. The system continues to say you need to file the federal tax first which was done 2 hours prior. Help.

sweetmartine

Same question, can't file as I already transmitted federal

Brenda73

Same issue here. I was on the phone with a rep for 2 hours, she said you can't file one without the other?? But why give that option then. She just told me "Sorry you will need to mail in your state". Looking for help too!!

spete

I have the same issue! I have been using turbo tax for many years now and I have always filed Federal first and then state tax after Federal was accepted. This is the first time I ever have an issue! I think it is a bug in the software. I wonder if Intuit is aware of it.

@spete wrote:

spete

I saw that, but it is not useful. I have no errors in the state returns according to Turbotax

ben416

I agree with you. What you and the others are experiencing is most definitely a software error!   Like this.

efile1.JPGObviously it knows Fed is filedefile2.JPGYet, is asking you select Fed again.

jlukja

I have the same issue.  Going back and re-running the Review (as the linked solution suggests) did not solve this problem.  I've been able to e-file the state return after e-filing the federal return in past years.  TurboTax needs to fix this.

Bsm59

Same issue. Have never had this happen before and I usually file federal first and decide whether go back to e- file states later. It appears now my only option is paper??

fchatman

I'm having the same problem.  Like many others, I too have in the past e-filed my federal taxes first and then returned to TurboTax some time later to e-file my state tax return with no problem.  Now, I'm caught in this loop of being told I must go "Back" and select the federal return as well when my federal return has already been sent and accepted by the IRS.  What is Intuit doing to fix this problem?  I want to file my state taxes today.

BadSoftware

Same issue here, no errors, final review is clean, federal return is accepted but cannot file the State return for the exact same error as shown above, message from TurboTax "E-file requires federal return" but Federal return cannot be selected as it already has been transmitted and accepted.

DaleT

I am also having the same issue.  It looks like several people are having the same problem

Squishy28

I agree with everyone and am in the same boat : never a problem in past years.  Why give the option if it won't actually work !!  Please fix this and help us all.   I am also not able to amend a submitted return - why not ?  I've never experienced trouble with Turbo Tax before and I've used it for years - I hope these issues are fixed quickly and completely so that I won't have to go to another service next year.