turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I don't need form 3554 but it's making me fill it out

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How Form 3554 was populated and how to remove:

Most likely what happened is when you got the portion of your CA state return that says " Credit and Taxes" if you scroll down the page there is a section called "Credit Recapture" and right underneath it says, “New Employment Credit Recapture. Learn More". Clicking start on this portion brings you to a screen that says, “New Employment Credit Recapture". Here you will see "where it says "New Employment Credit Recapture" and there is a box where there must have been a figure inserted, most likely "0" if you did not need this credit. Putting a figure in that box automatically populated that form causing it to now give you errors on the State Return review asking numerous questions about form 3554. Unfortunately, at this point you cannot go to delete a form or even go back to that box and remove the "0" as the only thing that will work is deleting your CA State return and starting over this time making sure that you do not go into the "New Employment Credit Recapture" by selecting start next to it if you do not need to fill out form 3554.

For instructions on how to delete your state return in TurboTax Online please see the TurboTax FAQ below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301384

For additional information on Form 3554: https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2014/14_3554bk.pdf

View solution in original post

53 Replies
ellah13

its not deleting at all

i agree i tried these steps it didnt work for me either
beelia

I spent an hour on that goddamn return! Next year, no Turbotax!

I cannot delete form 3554 either, it is frustrating. TurboTax should have provided better instructions on this step.
shull955

This problem is three years old.  About time you fixed it!

Same here unable to NOT fill it out I want a refund from turbo tax, I have spent hours on it

This sucks! I don't need this form and I also can't delete it!

Hey guys - I came up with the solution.  At the top right, there's an icon titled 'FORMS'.  Click on it and all business applicable forms will appear on side bar menu.  Once you are there, find the CA Form 3554 as sub-category under California tax forms.  You will see, at bottom of screen, 3 button options for 'print', 'delete form' and 'close form'.  Highlight the CA Form 3554 and click 'Delete Form'.
Beyna

Where exactly are you seeing the icon titled 'FORMS'?  

At the top right of screen of the program
Beyna

Thanks, I found it.  The icon is actually called 'Bookmarks' not FORMS.  I have recreated the solution as indicated below;

1.Click on the icon called ‘Bookmarks’  
2.This will bring up all the Federal and State forms to the left of the screen
3.Scroll down to the California Returns section
4.Locate Form 3554
5.Click ‘Delete Form’
6.You’ll be asked to confirm if you want to delete the selected form
7.Click Yes to confirm the form deletion
8.Form 3554 is successfully deleted

Good luck to everyone who's encountered this issue.  Hopefully this was helpful!

Beyna

Just to clarify - Am using the online version of TurboTax and NOT the Desktop version so that may be the reason why the icon has different names.  If you're using the TurboTax Online version, the icon is called 'Bookmarks'  

I was using desktop version.  I didn't realize there was an online version for business tax forms!  Awesome

How Form 3554 was populated and how to remove:

Most likely what happened is when you got the portion of your CA state return that says " Credit and Taxes" if you scroll down the page there is a section called "Credit Recapture" and right underneath it says, “New Employment Credit Recapture. Learn More". Clicking start on this portion brings you to a screen that says, “New Employment Credit Recapture". Here you will see "where it says "New Employment Credit Recapture" and there is a box where there must have been a figure inserted, most likely "0" if you did not need this credit. Putting a figure in that box automatically populated that form causing it to now give you errors on the State Return review asking numerous questions about form 3554. Unfortunately, at this point you cannot go to delete a form or even go back to that box and remove the "0" as the only thing that will work is deleting your CA State return and starting over this time making sure that you do not go into the "New Employment Credit Recapture" by selecting start next to it if you do not need to fill out form 3554.

For instructions on how to delete your state return in TurboTax Online please see the TurboTax FAQ below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301384

For additional information on Form 3554: https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2014/14_3554bk.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies