Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I don't have information on what states my exempt-interest dividends are from. My advisor told me the amount toward my home state is quite negligible. What do I do?

My advisor's full response: "The tax-exempt interest from the select Municipal bond funds utilized invest across many states.  So the amount toward your home state is quite negligible to nothing.  Thus making that interest subject to state income tax and only exempt from the federal side."

TT asks for the amount of exempt-interest dividends for each state. I don't have any of that information. What do I do?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I don't have information on what states my exempt-interest dividends are from. My advisor told me the amount toward my home state is quite negligible. What do I do?

@nicholasverduin 

Certainly, selecting TX will work  (except if you are are resident of UT)..

....But a better choice would be to go to the end of the list of states and select "Multiple States" instead for the entire amount.  That's the normal way it's done if you are not going to break out your own state's bonds.

(Note for Desktop software users....the desktop software has a slightly different selection.. "More than one state" instead.  Subtle...but the same effect) 

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

use the state of Texas.  no income tax there and all your exempt-interest dividends will be taxed on your state return.  

Only the amount earned from state-tax-free securities issued in your own state can be excluded on your state return.

The breakdown by state is usually given by the mutual fund on their website as a percentage.

why would anybody enter tax-exempt amounts from 50 states?

and why would TurboTax ask you for that? You must be misreading it.

@nicholasverduin 

Certainly, selecting TX will work  (except if you are are resident of UT)..

....But a better choice would be to go to the end of the list of states and select "Multiple States" instead for the entire amount.  That's the normal way it's done if you are not going to break out your own state's bonds.

(Note for Desktop software users....the desktop software has a slightly different selection.. "More than one state" instead.  Subtle...but the same effect) 

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

...And here's how you would do it if you did have a lot of $$ from your home state.  You only break out your resident state, any US Territory bonds, and the remaining amount is lumped, "Multiple states".  An example for a NC resident, for box 11 $$ on a 1099-DIV:  (the checkbox on the "Tell Us More..." page is only checked if you want to do the break-out)

1099-DIV_TaxExempt_State_1_Online.png

But as another example.  Say your box 11 on the 1099-DIV is $1000.   And the info from your fund indicates that 2% came from your state.  2% of 1000 = $20.  SO I could reduce my state income by $20 by doing the breakout, and save myself $1 in state taxes (at 5% state tax rate).  But you have to do the proper calculations yourself to get that $20 value.....and MN and CA don't allow the breakout from a mutual fund collection of bonds unless the Fund holdings contain more than 50% of that particular state's bonds.  (and IL doesn't allow a breakout at all from a mutual fund)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies