Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Jailop
Returning Member

I completed my tax returns, and saw that my wages were doubled on my state tax return page.

Hi, I recently completed my tax returns as I wanted to have them done early. I noticed I was going to get back $122 for my state return, however I was prompted to input my earned wages again. When I did this my return dropped to me having to pay $57 dollars back. I simply thought that this was normal, however after looking at my completed documents I noticed my state wages were doubled on the tax return. I had made $6,883 in 2020, but my mistake stated I had made $13,766. It is my first time filing with an error, and I have no clue how to get the money I should have earned back. Any information would be great.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MayaD
Expert Alumni

I completed my tax returns, and saw that my wages were doubled on my state tax return page.

The information flows from your federal to your state return. You should enter your wages only on your federal return. You need to revisit the state return and remove the wages that you added to your state return.

You can amend your state return without filing an amendment for your federal.

1. Sign in to your TurboTax account
  2. Under Your tax returns & documents (you may need to scroll down or select Tax Home first), select Show to open a list of options.
  3. Select 2020 and select Amend (change) return, then Amend using TurboTax Online.
  4. Select the reason you’re amending and continue.
  5. Answer the questions about your federal return, even if they don't apply. You'll eventually get to the screen Let's get started on your state taxes.
  6. Keep going and we'll present you with the option to amend. In some states, this appears right at the beginning; in others, it appears towards the end of the state interview.
  7. When finished, we'll provide printing and filing instructions for the amendment. Your state may take several months to process it.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Jailop
Returning Member

Hi Maya,

Thank you so much for the informative reply. I just wanted to confirm that I won't be able to amend until the return is accepted?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Not only accepted but finances settled. If your return is rejected, you can fix it and re-file without needing an amended return.

Once your return is accepted and the finances are settled, you can file an amended return. If you choose to do the amended without paying, be sure to mark in the software that you did not pay. The software will think that you paid. Be sure to file the amended return before April 15, if you are not paying.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies