turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I already filed my 2020 returns but have noticed that my 2020 Kansas return did not include the Kansas Homestead refund. Why would this be, and can I fix it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

I already filed my 2020 returns but have noticed that my 2020 Kansas return did not include the Kansas Homestead refund. Why would this be, and can I fix it?

It depends if you met the requirements set forth by the State of Kansas.  According to their link

To qualify you must be a Kansas resident, living in Kansas the entire year. Your total household income must be $36,300 or less.

You must also meet one of the following requirements:

• You were born before Jan. 1, 1965; OR
  • You must have been totally and permanently disabled or blind during the entire year, regardless of your age; OR
  • You must have had a dependent child living with you all of last year who was born before Jan. 1, 2020, and was under the age of 18 the entire year.

Did you meet all of these parameters?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I meet both the financial stipulation and the dependent stipulation for the Homestead act. 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

You filed forms into electronic limbo waiting for the IRS and state governments to finish their forms and get them updated for 2020. You may well qualify for a credit that was not available when you did your return.

Once electronic filing begins on February 12, wait and see if your return is accepted or rejected.

• If rejected, fix and refile.
  • If accepted, the state may fix your return and give you the credit. If not, you will need to file an amended state return.

Once your return is accepted and the finances are settled, you can file an amended return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies