Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

msapo24

HSA Distributions for previous year's expenses in NJ

I have accrued medical expenses in 2022, but was not billed for some of it until after the year end.   So when I paid them out of my HSA, they were not reported on HSA 2022 statement.  Since NJ has a 2% floor on the amount that can be claimed, I don't reach it every year.  Can I claim 2022 medical expenses on my NJ return even if they were not paid out until 2023 ? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

You cannot claim any medical expenses that have been or will be reimbursed thru the HSA account ... if you do deduct them on the 2022 return you would have to amend the 2022 return when you get the reimbursement in 2023 so why bother. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

What Critter-3 said applies to your federal tax return. New Jersey does not give you a tax deduction for HSA contributions, so for the medical expenses on your New Jersey tax return you can include expenses that you paid from your HSA. However, you can only include expenses that you actually paid during the year, either from your HSA or from other funds. On your 2022 tax return you can only include expenses that you paid in 2022. Any expenses that you pay in 2023 must be included on your 2023 tax return, regardless of when the expense was incurred or billed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies