Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

How to upgrade online software New York State 1t 196

Community is a public forum and we can't directly inform you when the issue has been resolved. This is an issue we are aware of and are looking into it. Please check back next week. Thank you for your patience!

@paulaz61

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Please fix this SOON. 

Any updates?  I also continue to get the error...

Post a direct response on when this will be resolved. 

PS i received a refund for the tax preperation processing fee from turbotax AFTER i sent my federal. 

Does this reverse my federal filing? Can i file my NY with another service and still keep my federal with Turbotax.

Please respond.

So are you able to file federal but hold off on filing state using turbo tax?  That would be better than nothing I suppose while this issue is resolved but I’m not seeing how to do that…

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Yes. You can file your federal taxes now and your state taxes later, but you will need to wait for your federal taxes to be accepted before filing your state taxes. 

Please follow the instructions below to remove your state return and file only federal.

Can I file my federal taxes now and skip my state for later?

We have a forms availability table that is updated as forms become available. Also, please refer to the response previously posted by Cynthiad66. 

Here is the list of the available state forms.

State forms availability table for TurboTax individual ...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Per your links, I’m not seeing any reference to IT-196.  That’s the form noted in the error message. 

We need TurboTax to fix this asap.  This is a software update issue.  Please have your Tech team update and allow folks to submit their taxes.  This is delaying business for one of the largest populations in the US (NEW YORK).  I think if there is a sense of urgency applied here - customers will not RECONSIDER using another software provider. 

Hi, there is no reference to form IT-196 for New York in the links that were posted above, so there is no schedule for the anticipated update.

WHEN will the update be available?

brooklyner
Returning Member

I am getting the same error when filing the state of NY tax.

I have two 1098 forms because I refinanced my mortgage.

I had to modify the mortgage interest adjustment because it only had the amount of interest that I paid for the current mortgage, which is not including the amount of interest for the previous mortgage. So I made a change to the total amount of interests that I had paid in 2021. 

Then I got the error at the end of the process when filing the state tax.

Please resolve this issue asap and update here.

thanks!

I am also getting this error. Absolutely ridiculous it's February 8th at this point. The form is available we should be able to file. 

Almost exactly the same issue as you except my mortgage was bought mid year so I also have two 1098s. Very frustrating that we have to resort to this thread to get any “answers”. 

Im 24 hours away from filing with another company going forward (including this years). 

Hello,

I paid to e-file both and yet I cannot file my NY State because of the fact Form IT-196 is not upgraded in your online version of TurboTax.

Unfortunately I am unable decouple my Federal taxes from my NY State taxes as you suggest.

When I go back and try to see if I can simply e-file my Federal taxes while waiting for you to update your software,  I can never get to a "Here are your filing options screen." Therefore I can never select Change next to my state return. Instead, I am caught in a loop where I am send back to the screen where I can only submit both my filings for review, and at that point I am, once again, caught up in the fact that I cannot e-file because my state form is unacceptable because the software needs to be upgraded...and so forth and so on.

ekbl
Level 2

This DOES NOT appear what it says on the screen.

I have two 1098 interest statements.

If I remove one of the 1098s and have only one 1098 in the filing. This error message disappear in the "Review" and everything seems to be ok.

So there is a bug in the software and that is nothing to do with the latest NYS tax forms. 

Turbotax has to fix this. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies