Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to record non-resident property sale in HI

I have owned a rental property in HI for 8 years which I have always rented and never lived in. I have been reporting the income/expenses on my Federal return and paying HI the GE tax. I sold the property in Feb 2022. I am filing a state return in HI for the sale of the property.     What form do I record the sale on the HI property? So far all I've done on the HI state form is let TT update the state form from Federal.

Also, at the time of the sale, I paid an estimated tax to HI and received an N288-A form showing the amount paid. Do I need to send HI a copy of the N288-A form, a filled-out N288-C form, and a copy of my final Federal tax return?

Thanks ....

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyC
Expert Alumni

1. No, the program asked about the capital gains from the federal. The state is aware the property was sold.

2. If you entered the gains and the GET tax, your HI return is nearly done.

3. You do not enter estimated payments to the state in the state return. Follow these steps:

1. Go back to federal, deductions and credits
  2. Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  3. Select Estimates
  4. Select State estimated taxes for 2022
  5. Start, yes
  6. enter the information

4. You can flip to Forms mode and trace issues. Be sure to use the input mode or the accuracy guarantee will be void.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Who did you received the N288-A from?  This is a form that you are to send in with our estimated tax payments when you sell a property as a non resident of Hawaii.  

The N288C is for a refund of the amount you paid? ". If available, the transferor/seller should file the appropriate tax return instead of filing Form N-288C"  This is a form you would have filled out prior to tax season to claim a refund of amounts you overpaid.  At this point, this is not a form you would fill out for a refund. 

As a non resident in Hawaii, you would fill out a N-15 to claim a refund of any overpayment you made when you paid estimated sales tax on the sale of your property.

You stated that you did not get past having TurboTax transport your information.  As you walk through all the questions in TurboTax you will be asked the questions needed to fill out the Non-Resident form and properly report the sale of your property as well as claim any refund you may be entitled to or pay any additional amount if you did not pay enough.  Be sure to read and answer each question so you get to the right sections to complete your return properly. 

I received a copy of the N288-A that the Escrow company sent to the state of HI. It also includes a copy of the check sent to the state of HI from my escrow funds.

Tentatively, TT reports I owe HI a lot less than what is on the N288-A. So, this means I need to file an N288-C for the refund of the overpayment?

Thanks

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Yes, you would file Hawaii N-288C to apply for a refund of the overpayment. Many states withhold a higher amount than is required for non-resident property sales and then issue a refund. 

Here is a link to Form N-288C that is able to be e-filed.

@bptsj 

I ran the TurboTax for Hawaii but did not see anywhere it asked if the property was sold. It did prompt for the gross receipts on the property for the GET tax. Also, I was never prompted to enter any estimated taxes for 2022. As it stands, TurboTax shows I owe taxes to Hawaii. I'm stuck at this point.

Is there something I can look at in forms mode to see what I'm missing?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

1. No, the program asked about the capital gains from the federal. The state is aware the property was sold.

2. If you entered the gains and the GET tax, your HI return is nearly done.

3. You do not enter estimated payments to the state in the state return. Follow these steps:

1. Go back to federal, deductions and credits
  2. Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  3. Select Estimates
  4. Select State estimated taxes for 2022
  5. Start, yes
  6. enter the information

4. You can flip to Forms mode and trace issues. Be sure to use the input mode or the accuracy guarantee will be void.

Thanks! Looking much better now !! The HI state return shows I get a refund and form N-288C also shows I get a refund, though it doesn't match exactly. I think the discrepancy is because the calculation on N-288C only uses the long-term gain on the HI property whereas Turbo Tax HI  state form uses the net long-term gain on Sched D, which in my case includes other items. 

Thanks for your help. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies