Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to enter NJK-1 for a K-1 with both Line 1 and 2 presented

I have a federal K-1 from a partnership with income in Line 1 and Line 2.

Because these lines can't be entered together in Turbotax I have to make two separate K-1s (One with all information except Line 2 - let's call it "K-1 Line 1", second with only Line 2 - let's call it "K-1 Line 2").

These two federal K-1 "K-1 Line 1" and"K-1 Line 2" are porting into my NJ state return as two separate K-1s entries.

Now I have an NJK-1 form to enter for state taxes for this partnership. It's one document and it's not split by Line 1,2,3 types of income.

My options:

• Enter information from NJK-1 into both K-1s is obviously incorrect.
  • Enter information from NJK-1 into the"K-1 Line 1" looks also incorrect, because it contains data for the whole partnership income, not separately for Line 1 and Line 2. If I input the whole NJ K-1 amounts for "K-1 Line 1" and a"K-1 Line 2" will be "no NJK-1" - likely the totals are wrong. Turbotax will count full NJK-1 income (that already has Line 2 inside) for "K-1 Line 1" PLUS count "K-1 Line 2" income from the federal return.
  • I tried to enter NJK-1 in NJ state return for only the"K-1 Line 1". After that manually delete the"K-1 Line 2" and move its Line 2 data into the first K-1 in forms mode. Which can be done OK in forms mode in state return and the final result looks alright. BUT. When Turbotax makes "Error check" - it reimports federal K-1s and messes the result.

Summary: Turbotax forces you to split K-1s by income types and Line 1,2,3. But the NJ state NJK-1 form has only summarized data for all income types. How can I handle it correctly? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

In the NJ return Partnership Income section, continue the entries in NJ as if there were two K-1s. 

Let's say your federal and NJ K-1s have $50,000 in line 1 and $25,000 in line 2.  If you enter them separately in the NJ return,  TurboTax will combine the income from both and enter the total ($75,000) on line 21 of the NJ 1040, p. 2.

Thank you for your response!

> In the NJ return Partnership Income section, continue the entries in NJ as if there were two K-1s. 

It's impossible, NJK-1 is not split by sources of income. So I can't answer "Yes, I received NJK-1" to both of these K-1 forms and input the right data because NJK-1 contains only a summation of all income sources (this is confirmed with partnerships), there is no way to split NJK-1 between Lines of K-1.

> Let's say your federal and NJ K-1s have $50,000 in line 1 and $25,000 in line 2.  If you enter them separately in the NJ return,  TurboTax will combine the income from both and enter the total ($75,000) on line 21 of the NJ 1040, p. 2.

Turbotax doesn't have a flow to apply NJK-1 to this total value on NJ 1040, p. 2.

Turbotax allows you to input NJK-1 for a specific K-1 only. Input full amounts from NJK-1 to one of K-1 or both of them both lead to incorrect results and totals either way.

I contacted Turbotax support about this question yesterday. They were not able to help me and it was reported as a bug in K-1 flow design. Looks like there is currently no way to execute the described scenario correctly in Turbotax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies