diehl61

How is the New York state amount on line 29 calculated. It is a NYS subtraction for Pension and Annuity income. It appears that I enter an amount in the Federal section and it some how comes up with different NYS amt. I would like to understand so I can e

JohnW152

The Form IT-201 Line 29 calculation can be somewhat complicated. 

Please see Line 29 – Pension and annuity income exclusion in the Instructions for Form IT-201, Full-Year Resident Income Tax Return for guidance.

diehl61

• Thank you for your email.
    Let me reword the question. 
    I am familiar with the tax code for line 29 that you refer to but...
    How does turbo tax calculate the amount?
    It gets the amount from distribution of IRA on the fed form but the amounts are quite different. Please explain.