Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I get the NC state return to itemize deductions?

I have changed my federal return to itemize but the NC says that it is still the standard deduction. I understand that it shoudl carry over. How can I get it to do this?Thanks.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

No...the software always uses the greater one by default, even if you select "Itemized" for the Federal software.

Yes, if you use Std Ded in Federal, then NC must use Std Ded........but you can use either on NC if you Itemized on Federal  

(with exceptions for those filing MFS)

IF you did use Itemized on Federal, want to switch to STD for NC  (or see what happens if you do)

Open that tax file

1) switch to "Forms Mode"

2) Find and open the "Deduction worksheet" in the NC section  (it's actually called the "Standard /Itemized Deduction Worksheet" but that's not what shows in the left-side window) .

3).....The first two $$ amounts shown are the Std Ded  $$, and then a line that shows what the NC "Itemized" Deductions would be.

4) if you want to force-switch to NC "Itemized Deductions", check the first box just below those two lines

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

2 Replies

No...the software always uses the greater one by default, even if you select "Itemized" for the Federal software.

Yes, if you use Std Ded in Federal, then NC must use Std Ded........but you can use either on NC if you Itemized on Federal  

(with exceptions for those filing MFS)

IF you did use Itemized on Federal, want to switch to STD for NC  (or see what happens if you do)

Open that tax file

1) switch to "Forms Mode"

2) Find and open the "Deduction worksheet" in the NC section  (it's actually called the "Standard /Itemized Deduction Worksheet" but that's not what shows in the left-side window) .

3).....The first two $$ amounts shown are the Std Ded  $$, and then a line that shows what the NC "Itemized" Deductions would be.

4) if you want to force-switch to NC "Itemized Deductions", check the first box just below those two lines

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Thank you - this was very helpful - I did not know how to access the forms view. The standard deduction for NC is the higher number. Thanks.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies