spumeus91

Help NY State: "Part year resident returns where income was received from new jersey sources while a nonresident of new jersey are not eligible for electronic filing". What do I do?

Did I do something wrong with my taxes? The income in question is gambling winnings from NJ.

How do I file?

JotikaT2

It depends.

If I am understanding your question correctly, it sounds like you are trying to file a nonresident state return for New Jersey.  Is this correct?

If so, are the gambling winnings from the New Jersey lottery?  If so, they would only be taxable if they are $10,000 or more.  If they are from other sources, the $10,000 exemption for lottery winnings would not apply.

Please see the attached for more details on how your net gambling winnings are reported on your return.

Gambling reporting

Also, you should make sure you have a filing requirement in New Jersey.  See the chart below.  If your overall income is below the limits, you may not need to file a nonresident state return.

Filing threshold

If you determine you did have to file a nonresident return and you are still getting a message indicating you cannot e-file, please comment again so we can help you determine what is going on.

spumeus91

I have to file a non-resident and a part-year resident return in NJ and turbotax is having me do it via mail. I have already filed my federal and the other part-year resident state tax.

Edit: @Jo I do have to file non-resident and part-year resident in Nj and turbotax is having me do it via mail and check. already filed federal and Ny state.

MaryK1101

Unfortunately, because you are in the rare- but not unheard of- situation where you have to file a New Jersey Nonresident and Part-Year resident, you cannot efile with TurboTax. 

@spumeus91