turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Free State Download?

I live in a state that does not require me to file state taxes.  I'm helping my in-laws with their taxes and they lived in CA for 2 months last year.  Since I purchased TurboTax Federal only, is there a free state I can download to file their taxes?  They sold their home in CA so I'm not sure if I can use the "simple" online filing for State.

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Free State Download?

The state software goes with the software you are using for the federal return.  The information flows from the federal return to the state return.   You cannot use the CD/download (if that is what you are doing) and then use online TT for a stand alone state return---it just does not work that way.  If you already have desktop software (Basic or Deluxe without state software?)  then it is an extra fee to download state software.   There is also a fee to e-file a state return using desktop software but you can avoid that fee if you print and mail the state return instead of e-filing it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Free State Download?

Thank you!

That's what I thought but was just checking to see if there was a work around.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies