turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

smesstax

I cannot e-file my AL state taxes because it is telling me I need to file a form 2106. Why are my deductions not just carrying over on turbotax from my federal return?

After filling out my federal return, I went to complete my state return. I was then told that I could not e-file because I had to fill out Form 2106. However, when I looked this up, I do not meet the requirements for needing this form. Why am I getting this error? And why are my deductions not just carrying over from my federal return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PhyllisG

I cannot e-file my AL state taxes because it is telling me I need to file a form 2106. Why are my deductions not just carrying over on turbotax from my federal return?

Form 2106 allows employees to claim job expenses that were not reimbursed by their employer. The deduction was taken on the Form 1040 Schedule A, Itemized Deductions.

The federal Tax Cuts and Jobs Act abolished all Miscellaneous Itemized Deductions including employee business expenses.

However, several States have not conform to the changes in the Federal laws and are allowing deductions that you can no longer claim on the federal return.  

You will have to research your State income tax laws to determine the difference in the tax regulations.

If the Form 2106 is not applicable, you can delete it while in your return by:

1. Selecting Tax Tools in the left side menu 
  2. Clicking Tools
  3. Under Other helpful links, choosing Delete a Form
  4. Scrolling to Form 2106
  5. Clicking Delete
  6. Confirming by clicking the Delete Selected Form button.

The Form 2106 will be removed from your return. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
PhyllisG

Form 2106 allows employees to claim job expenses that were not reimbursed by their employer. The deduction was taken on the Form 1040 Schedule A, Itemized Deductions.

The federal Tax Cuts and Jobs Act abolished all Miscellaneous Itemized Deductions including employee business expenses.

However, several States have not conform to the changes in the Federal laws and are allowing deductions that you can no longer claim on the federal return.  

You will have to research your State income tax laws to determine the difference in the tax regulations.

If the Form 2106 is not applicable, you can delete it while in your return by:

1. Selecting Tax Tools in the left side menu 
  2. Clicking Tools
  3. Under Other helpful links, choosing Delete a Form
  4. Scrolling to Form 2106
  5. Clicking Delete
  6. Confirming by clicking the Delete Selected Form button.

The Form 2106 will be removed from your return. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies