Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

KV10
Level 2

For tax exempt interest dividends, the mutual fund says that in North Carolina it is 0.68. Does it mean that I multiply exempt amount by 0.68 or 0.68% (0.0068)?

My tax exempt interest dividends is $300. If I have to multiply by 0.68 then I get 204$ as exempt in NC. Otherwise it doesn't seem right to only get exempt by $2.04? Looking for help.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

For tax exempt interest dividends, the mutual fund says that in North Carolina it is 0.68. Does it mean that I multiply exempt amount by 0.68 or 0.68% (0.0068)?

I can't really interpret that for you from the info you've given since different brokerages may report differently...BUT...look at their breakdown of all the other states? 

1)  IF they are using fractions/decimal amounts, none of the other states can exceed 1.0 , thus they would all have to be less than 1.0 too.   

2)  IF some of the other states have values higher than 1.0, then they are using % values and you would multiply by 0.0068 .

And remember...since multiple funds can feed into the tax-exempt box, you need to multiply that 0.0068 against just what that particular fund issued.  (unless, of course, if you only had one fund feeding that value.)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

2 Replies

I can't really interpret that for you from the info you've given since different brokerages may report differently...BUT...look at their breakdown of all the other states? 

1)  IF they are using fractions/decimal amounts, none of the other states can exceed 1.0 , thus they would all have to be less than 1.0 too.   

2)  IF some of the other states have values higher than 1.0, then they are using % values and you would multiply by 0.0068 .

And remember...since multiple funds can feed into the tax-exempt box, you need to multiply that 0.0068 against just what that particular fund issued.  (unless, of course, if you only had one fund feeding that value.)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
KV10
Level 2

Thank you. This is for the fund Vanguard Tax-Managed Balanced Fund. I do see that states like Florida has 5.27 and that for North Carolina it is 0.68. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies